Monday, March 15, 2010

You Got Your Nursing Degree Online? Stay Away From Me with that Needle!


Video Courtesy: YouTube

One of the most hands on, people-oriented, technical professions is now being offered in an online curriculum. Does that sound sketchy to anyone else?

I understand that in today's struggling economy nursing is one of few areas in which we are constantly in need of help; but in a job where you hold patients' lives in your hands you should probably be required to do a little more work with those hands than simply typing on a keyboard.

I was already astonished that in a profession that deals with life and death situations on a daily basis one could gain all the knowledge possible to be successful in a simple two year Associates Degree. Meanwhile, someone wishing to go into coaching or hospitality management would need a four year Bachelor's Degree.

Just in the small state of Vermont there are at least four universities which offer an online nursing program and three colleges which offer an associates degree in nursing.

I don't know about you, but personally I don't want some nurse who got her certification from working on a keyboard rather than a patient! We may be desperate for nurses, but we'd never be THAT desperate if I had a say in the matter!

1 comment: